Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Thing about Winter

Here's the thing about winter. When it's winter, I scuff around in my slippers on the beige wall-to-wall carpeting in the study/living room, and then when I sit down at my desk I first need to touch the metal goose-necked lamp in order to diffuse all of my static electricity before coming into contact with my computer. It kind of hurts, and I dread it a little every time I get over here.

On the other hand, I dread it a lot less than I dreaded zapping the laptop back before I figured out that touching the lamp first made things better. (I came to this realization, oh, yesterday.)

3 comments:

Thoroughly Educated said...

Same scene here. I'm trying to a) train a puppy that it's good to come to me and b) use my laptop and neither puppy nor laptop will learn properly if they get shocked every time I touch them. Yesterday I went out and bought a high-capacity humidifier. Seems to be helping a bit already.

Dance said...

Three strokes of a long-haired cat and I'm out. Zip! Zap! Shock! Cat runs away.

Maybe I should invest in the humidifier.

Notorious Ph.D. said...

It's even more fun if you have a cat. I was kitten-sitting in the dead of winter once, and after the first six hours, the poor kitty wouldn't come within ten feet of me.