Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Light(er) Blogging Ahead

I'm off tomorrow for Campus Interview. I'll be back on Friday night; then I have all of two days to get ready for Other Campus Interview, for which I leave on Monday. About 8 days from now I expect to collapse.

I'm really trying not to count on getting one of these jobs. The search process is so fraught with disappointment that one can't rush headlong into every glimmer of possibility, you know? I am, however, allowing myself to mix metaphors, or at least metaphor-like things, as freely as I wish. One must cut oneself some slack. One must indulge.

Yeah, okay. In other news, I'll be guiding an independent study in Shakespeare this semester. That might be some fun. Since (honestly!) my preps aren't too bad this semester, and once the job search settles down I'll have a little more time. The papers should start rolling in right about then, though; I'm pretty much in denial about them. Let's see--rough numbers--I'll be grading and/or commenting on...1200 composition papers this semester. ?? Wait--can that possibly be right? No, actually, it isn't. Hang on. Let's do this again. 600 papers. There we go. Six hundred freshman composition papers will pass through my hands this semester.

Um.

All right.

This is why we're interviewing, see.

So here I go. Wish me luck.

7 comments:

Hilaire said...

Oh, best best best of luck! I am so sending you the vibes. And can't wait to hear news when you're back.

And: 600 papers??????? Oh my god.

Ancrene Wiseass said...

Fingers crossed!

heu mihi said...

That's 600 *composition* papers. The survey adds another 125. (Granted, some of these papers--for both classes--are only 1-2 pages long, but others will be in the 6-10 category.)

And thanks! I'll let you know what happens....

Fretful Porpentine said...

Holy crap, 600 comp papers?!? I thought my grad school's comp program was insane, but at least the absolute maximum possible was 352, even back in the days when they capped the courses at 22.

How many comp students do you have?

squadratomagico said...

LUCK LUCK LUCK LUCK LUCK LUCK LUCK
!!!!!!!!

~profgrrrrl~ said...

luck, much!

What Now? said...

Wishing you confidence and eloquence and great vibes during your campus visits.