Tuesday, January 8, 2008

All Hail Moe, for Moe is a Benevolent God!

Okay. Could my rampant superstition get any more encouragement?

I knock on wood; I admit it. In fact, if I say something that warrants wood-knocking, and there's no wood present, I feel a very real anxiety and wish that I could take back my words.

There was a time back in November when I lamented, on this very blog, that I was anxiously awaiting calls about interviews even though it was far too soon to expect to hear anything--and within 15 minutes I got a call. Last May, I was on the verge of lamenting, on this very blog, that I would never ever get a job when I got a call scheduling a campus visit for Field College. And now, withing a couple of hours of my latest lamentation...I was called about a campus visit. At one of the schools that seemed great in the interview.

Too-ra-loo! I say. Too-ra-lay!

So here's the scoop, y'all: If you complain in earnest, then the Job Market will hear you. It's kind of like the Secret: Failure is all your fault; you weren't whining hard enough. (I'm kidding. I hate, loathe, and despise the Secret. It represents all things deplorable. And I think that I should stop whining.)

And now I need to figure out how I'm going to pull off canceling three consecutive days of classes this month. Because Newest Interview is next W-F, and then Already Scheduled Interview is the following M-W (M being a holiday, so no worries there). My carefully crafted syllabi are falling apart and my students will feel betrayed. Delighted, but betrayed. Perhaps I can do something about comp, though.... Agh! This is a problem I was hoping to have!

12 comments:

Fretful Porpentine said...

Aargh, tell me about it. I'm trying my best to get through the next few weeks without cancelling any classes, but it looks like it's going to be challenging, to say the least. And yeah, this is a good problem to have, but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed right now...

heu mihi said...

Glad that things are going well, FP! May we all have this problem many times over!

Dr. Virago said...

Woo-hoo!

Dr. Crazy said...

Congratulations!

Ideas for what to do with your classes:

research/writing days

online discussion in lieu of class discussion

some sort of group projects in which they can use time outside of class to work on something

movies

group work that a colleague can administer

And congratulations again!!!!

Hilaire said...

Wow - Moe rocks. This is awesome!! Congrats!

Sisyphus said...

Hooray! Hooray!

So, Moe, eh? Like the Simpsons?

If one was to build a shrine to the great and mighty English job market gods, what would one put on it? Cigarettes, black coffee and a fifth of whiskey?

Does each specific job market god need his/her own individualized shrine?

Thoroughly Educated said...

Oh, hey, excellent news on the interviews!

squadratomagico said...

Wow... that Moe-worship strategy took me by surprise, but apparently it works.

Watch out, though. You might have to sacrifice a goat or something next. Moe sounds a little old-school to me.

Congratulations!

heu mihi said...

Dr. C--thanks for the suggestions! I've found a sub for at least one day; I plan on giving the comp kids something to do in class (so that the sub doesn't actually have to work). But that still leaves a lot of stuff to cover, so the suggestions are helpful.

Sisyphus--I'm not sure. Perhaps everyone must name her own deity, or perhaps I've lucked into the One True Jobmarket God. Or maybe I'm just postponing the crushing disappointment; who knows.

Sq--Yeah, I'm a little scared.

Belle said...

Oh, the MOE worship worked! Did you light candles? Sing to the moon? Scatter herbs? Good luck, and keep us posted.

medieval woman said...

Woot! Woot! All hail Megatron...I mean Moe!

That's GREAT news! I'm emailing you....

What Now? said...

Congratulations on the campus visits -- wonderful news!