Saturday, August 11, 2007

Okay, so maybe it's not so bad

I still don't have internet (come on Tuesday evening!), but I've found a good thing in this town. Actually I knew about it before, but this is the first time I've been here: a really delightful little coffee shop (with free wireless and adequate outlets, huzzah!). There is no Starbucks in town--praise heaven for small favors--and this place is full of its own Independent Cafe Charm. They even seem to sell fair-traded or homemade gifts or some such; I haven't looked too closely, but that's what I think that rack against the wall is full of. And homemade ice cream, which I haven't tried yet but WILL TRY. Unfortunately it, like the library, is closed on Sunday, so I'm not sure that I'll even be able to get online again until Monday. Oh well.

So yeah, this is something.

And there's a supposedly large natural-foods store about 25 minutes away; I may have the loan of a car later this weekend, and go there to stock up. I'm trying my hand at yogurt-making. Things might just straighten out.

Another pleasure, although this one is decidedly seasonal: the noises here, at night and in the early morning. Crickets and cicadas and that's about it. Years of urban living and I'd forgotten how loud those guys can be. It's really nice to have that be the only noise--at night but also during parts of the day, because my street is really quiet. As my mom reminded me last night, I'm used to cities. This is a different kind of place, demanding a different kind of life. I'm not sure that I'm going to get totally into it, but it might have its merits, all the same.

No comments: