Sunday, August 26, 2007

Evidence


I went for a walk this evening. I thought that, since I profess to be professing in the middle of the fields, I ought to at least go have a look at them. Right?

I set out, heading East. The following picture was taken two blocks from my front door:


It is quite beautiful here. The broad views are relaxing and easy on the eye; the fields undulate, in fact. See:


That picture doesn't show the undulating off to its fullest effect, but you get the idea.

This is a country that's built for long afternoon shadows and the hazy August sun. The days here feel long, perhaps because there's nothing much to do. Aside from prepping one's classes. But you know, I've kind of decided that I've done enough of that for one weekend? Maybe tonight I'll try to take a bite out of my accumulated Netflix.

4 comments:

Sisyphus said...

What is that, ... corn? (squints dubiously) I'm a little suspicious of anything so green. Next thing you'll be telling me you have water fall from the sky, hah.

It also looks like having a car would be a good thing, there. Biking might work, if you're Lance Armstrong. But I'm thinking a car would be a good thing.

heu mihi (formerly jb) said...

A car would be a good thing, yes. However, I'm hoping to hold out until I know what next year will bring--or, rather, require....

Tiruncula said...

Wow, you weren't kidding about the fields! Very pretty, though.

wil said...

Reminds me of where I grew up (West Texas), only greener. BTW, fields are great places to play, if you're a kid.