Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Hunger is the Best Sauce

I have to leave for the new faculty orientation in 15 minutes. And I have 50 pages left of the last Potter book.

In a way, this is working with my plan of not rushing through the novel (which I'm enjoying a lot, and which is a nice break from reading for my classes). But something REALLY BIG just happened and I want very badly to know what happens next! Oh well. Perhaps the suspense will keep me going through the approximately 8 hours of meetings I have to attend today--I kid you not.

And then there's an 8-hour "faculty retreat" tomorrow.

And another faculty meeting on Friday morning.

Where did this aspect of the professorial life come from?

5 comments:

medieval woman said...

Oh god! I totally hear you, sister! I have a full day of faculty orientation tomorrow - I need to go to bed soon just to get up in time...

Hope all the meetings go well - and the faculty retreat! Will there be those "trust" tests where you fall backwards into the waiting arms of your new colleagues??

jb said...

I have absolutely no idea. We were told to wear comfortable clothes, so all bets are off!

Bardiac said...

Faculty retreats can be incredibly valuable, or worse than a total waste of time. Pray that you've got good leadership! And food! Food is very important!

jb said...

I'm told that this year's retreat was very "zen" compared to previous retreats. I found the whole thing rather odd. It might warrant its own post....

undine said...

Please do post about it. Unlike Bardiac, I've never seen one of the "incredibly valuable" sort, but I've seen plenty of the other kind.