Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Impressions

The convocation ceremony was nice--not too long, and it had a pleasant, happy atmosphere. I also really enjoyed wearing my robes, which were generally felt to be the coolest-looking: most of the faculty were in the standard black, and openly admitted to their robe envy. I knew that $800 was well-spent.

I met one of my students today: he's a senior who'll be taking my upper-level course, and he's frighteningly smart and well-read. He's already read most of the books we'll be studying, in fact. And he's been reading Middle English for fun (not the topic of the course), but wants some help with learning to pronounce it correctly; I volunteered to help him out. I think it'll be interesting having him in class.

But I have three classes tomorrow, and the preps aren't quite done....

4 comments:

Hilaire said...

3 classes in one day!?

Good luck on the first day of this new you!

medieval woman said...

Good luck!!!!

jb said...

Yes--argh! I figure it can only get better from here.

Thanks!

Sisyphus said...

I'm jealous of your fancy and colorful-sounding robes! I think all the UCs do the standard school colors...