Saturday, March 3, 2007

An Unexpected Convergence

Regarding my last post: I just read, unrelatedly, a paper on reading practices in classical antiquity. Specifically, on active reading practices whereby readers wrote critical commentary and questions in the margins of their texts--along (almost) exactly the lines of my erstwhile Abelard critic. Hmm.

I'm actaully really interested in questions of readers' interactions with texts, specifically as they relate to authorial attempts at controlling interpretation in the Middle Ages. I can think of transparent instances of such attempts in some theological literature, but I'm starting to bat around ideas about how it might manifest in secular lit, too. Nothing much to say about it, at this point, except that when my pleasure reading combines with my required reading to highlight exactly the issue I've been half-thinking about, it seems like it's time to stop half-thinking and start weighing the issue in earnest....

4 comments:

medieval woman said...

Ooo! Ooo! Me too! I'm writing an article on readership and authorial attempts to control it! It occurs to me that we should have a good talk about our work interests...but what article on classical marginalia are you referring to here?

Btw, we're going to be in Grad School city April 12-16 - wanna meet up?

jb said...

Definitely!! I'm leaving town on the 17th, actually, for an Overseas Conference (can't wait!), so your timing is perfect. I'll email you and tell you about the article, too--it's unpublished, actually, but I can share it with you, if you like.

Tiruncula said...

Ooh, me too, me too! I need to read this article!

jb said...

Hi Tiruncula--I'll email you the info (it's unpublished)....