Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Sadness at Staying

The title of this post references a book that my friend Restless Architect gave me a few years ago, when I was on my way to Paris: Sadness at Leaving, it's called, by Erje Ayden. It's a strange little book. Anyway, I think of the title a lot, since it's obviously a pretty easily invoked sentiment, but somehow oddly phrased. And then I think of Restless Arch, and what a cool person he is.

But anyway. The reason for the sadness is actually rather banal, and my "sadness" is proportionately minor. All this recent talk of Kalamazoo meet-ups makes me wish that I was going to K'z this year! I had to skip it in favor of another conference (coming up in just a couple of weeks, and, frankly, in a much more exciting place), but I skipped it last year, too, and I miss it! I wish that I were going to be there to meet some of you in person.

--Which has got me thinking about this funny little blog-world. I basically started up my blog because I had the idea for a name for a blog and I wanted to use it. But what's so nice about the endeavor is the community of people who are interested in hearing about each other's teaching/writing/researching lives (as well as their non-scholarly lives, which for some reason I always think of as their "secular" lives; not sure why I've given it this particular label in my head, but it seems oddly appropriate). And it's nice to hear that other people get totally stuck, slack off, and dread (some of) their classes, sometimes, too. Not that I didn't imagine that to be the case. But it's good to have it in writing.

Anyway, the point is, although I'm pretty new to the blog thing and very little-known here, I'm glad that I started up my blog and I look forward to bitching to you people for years to come.

On a related note, I'm considering changing my blogging ID. I chose this one before I ever thought I'd have a blog, actually, and it's a little too thin a veil. Besides, it annoys me that, given the opportunity to choose an ID, I chose something so mundane. Watch This Space for more developments.

2 comments:

squadratomagico said...

Hm. If our non-scholarly activities are "secular," does that mean that our academic work is "holy"?

Perish the thought!

jb said...

Yeah, I don't know what I mean by that. The image obviously doesn't work both ways. Maybe "clerical" and "lay" would be a better dichotomy?