Thursday, March 22, 2007

All Is Not Lost

So I have an interview for a one-year tomorrow morning--a phone interview, which makes me nervous. I don't think that I do very well on the phone. Incapable of deploying those indispensible visual clues like nodding, smiling, looking interested, etc., I'm kind of at a loss. I end up saying "uh-huh" and "oh" and laughing inappropriately instead. The good thing, I guess, is that I'm going to be the one doing most of the talking (presumably, right?).

Maybe it's just my neediness talking, but the more I think about this job, the more I want it. It's in a part of the country that I've never felt any desire to visit, but now that there's a remote possibility of going there, I'm excited--it'd just be one year! it'd be like visiting a foreign country! it's far enough away that I could throw all my stuff into storage and just rent a furnished room! etc. And the courses that I would be teaching would be really good for me--the kind of stuff that I'd probably have to teach early in my career anyway, and so getting a little practice in a non-tenure-track situation would be a great help.

I've noticed, though, that anytime I receive the slightest expression of interest from an employer, I get all googly and carried away and convinced that whatever job they've got WOULD BE THE BEST THING EVER. I'm like one of those pathetic people who fall madly in love with any wo/man who flirts briefly with them at a bar. The upside of this kind of totally shallow emotional investment is that the let-down, when the jobs fall through, isn't all that bad.

Anyway. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

squadratomagico said...

I did a telephone interview once; I've also interviewed others by phone. When I was the interviewee, the thing that disconcerted me most was that there were three middle-aged men on the other end of the line who all sounded exactly alike. I got tripped up on this, but I shouldn't have. If there are several people on the line, just treat them all as one and don't try to figure out who is who. Just focus on your teaching, which is all they will really care about.

jb said...

Thanks; that's good advice. I'll try not to think about who's who. And I'll spend all evening rehearsing my answers.....

Hilaire said...

Oh, good luck!! I totally know what you mean by getting excited by and imagining your life in every single place. It's emotionally draining.

jb said...

Thanks, Hilaire! I'm glad that I'm not the only one to go through this!