Monday, July 28, 2008

Yikes.

I just wrote a bad book review.

I really didn't want to write a bad book review, but honestly, the book was not good. Oh, no. I tried to be charitable, but it was hard.

Luckily it's highly unlikely that I'll ever run across the author in the course of my career. Still, I feel...unpleasant...and yet strangely powerful...yes, powerful...knowledgeable.... I can feel my own authority growing, seething beneath the surface.... Oh, but I feel bad for the poor author, because it really isn't a very nice review.

I'll reread it tomorrow and see whether I can't soften it up a bit.

4 comments:

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Now that I'm getting close to book time myself, reading bad reviews always makes me nervous: What if I wrote a Bad Book?

Then again, when faced with a bad book, there's not much else you can do.

Sisyphus said...

Tag!

You have been Awarded the Internet. Come see. It's over at my place.

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Hey, you, heu! Did you see this?

http://www.blogged.com/directory/education/higher-education/2

Scroll down: you're at #23 -- highest-ranked of any medievalist blogger!

heu mihi said...

Well, that's cool (and surprising). Who rates these, I wonder? And on what criteria?

Maybe I should quit asking questions while I'm ahead, though--