Monday, July 28, 2008

Oh, Computer!

I'm getting little green lines here and there on my laptop's screen. This is troubling, is it not?

And they seem to be worse today than they were yesterday.

Ugh. The stupid thing is only two years old. What the hell?

I'd really rather not buy a new computer this year. My minimum computer lifespan is three years, which means that I'm replacing this sucker next August at the earliest.

Feh. Feh, I say! This is not helping me get through the tiresome and extensive revisions of my not-very-brilliant article draft.

Perhaps the worst part, though, is that the thought of getting a new computer gives me a bit of a thrill--so now I want to go looking for a new one, even though I seriously cannot afford it right now (MLA airfare is coming up all too soon). And, other than the raggedy monitor and the broken DVD player (my own fault, the latter is), my little Vaio is working just fine. I must relax. More important things are at hand--such as figuring out why there's such a dearth of secondary criticism in my essay. I mean, I know I'm writing about a pretty under-studied text, but I can't shake the feeling that there's a distinct lack of rigor here....

2 comments:

Sisyphus said...

Ooh, I want a new computer too! I have no job or money, or even a broken computer, but I am feeling the obsolescence creeping up on me. (Hopefully just the computer and not me in general.)

And yay! I will see many medievalists at MLA, yes? Huzzah!

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Sometimes the little lines are not the sign of something dire, but merely a bad connection of the display. I've had that happen many times before (it's the achilles heel of Mac laptops, sad to say), and the fix was quick and inexpensive.