Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Why I Am Drinking a Beer at 5:15, Even Though I Have to Go Back to Campus Tonight and Have A Lot of Grading to Do

1. Today I got a "rejection that is not a rejection" from Dream U. Goodbye, Dream. There will be others.

(May I also interject here a request to search committees? When you reject a person, reject her. None of this "Our search is completed! I'll bet your search is going well, too!" nonsense. Seriously. Dream U was absolutely splendiferous in all aspects of the process saving this one, so I'm really not too bothered by it and I think it just comes from an exaggerated anxiety about upsetting people--a misplaced courtesy, in fact--but it's not the first such letter I've received and I don't relish having to reread rejection letters two or even three times to figure out what the hell they're saying to me. It doesn't cushion the blow.)

2. People were crying in this afternoon's faculty meeting. Crying. Obviously I can't and won't talk about why--and honestly I haven't been here long enough to know what the real deal is--but suffice to say that there is Drama. And I will be accepting the Field offer in the next two days, so. The Drama will soon be mine.

3. In the last three days, I wrote up extensive comments on 47 drafts (10 to go!) and conferred with 18 students (2 to go!). So there's cause for celebration + lobotomy.

4. Hey! I have a job! It's almost official! So, in spite of everything, I get to have a small mid-week celebration. Right?

11 comments:

kermitthefrog said...

hey, have a big mid-week celebration while you're at it!

[said celebration could also be an "up yours" to the asinine wording from Dream U]

medieval woman said...

Well, shit - well, great! I'm sorry about Dream U - I was hoping that would work out. BUUUT, I'm psyched that you have a job at Field U!

So, celebrate and at least it's all over for this round! Yay you!

squadratomagico said...

That letter sounds completely ridiculous! But, Field U is worth celebrating about, even if it wasn't your first choice. I say: guzzle away!

Dr. Virago said...

Congrats on the job at Field U! Dream U clearly doesn't know what's good for them!

Ancrene Wiseass said...

I'm sorry about the Dream U silliness and the Field U Drama, but very happy for you about the Field U job.

Dr. Crazy said...

What Virago said!

Also: don't comment on drafts anymore. It is just too much. email me at reassignedtime at gmail if you'd like to know how I deal with comp and encouraging revision.

And I agree about the bullshit "rejection" from DU. Jerks!

But congratulations that you've got a t-t gig!

(And if it makes you feel more hopeful, no one has ever cried in a faculty meeting since I've been at my institution - since 2003 - and so that is not what you necessarily have in store for you!)

Sisyphus said...

Yay! A job, a job! Is it the same amount of teaching you have now? Or more lit stuff? I agree on the drafts thing ---- I did either draft comments _or_ personal confs with students when I did comp... its just so draining to go through a week like that.

Hmm, Dr. Crazy, if you come back and read this ---- would you talk a little about drafts/grading/teaching loads at your blog? I was thinking that this change maybe had something to do with your settling into the job and not feeling quite so snowed under?

What Now? said...

As you say, there will be other dream jobs, but it's disappointing that this particular dream is gone. And accepting the t-t offer at Field is definitely worth a mid-week celebration!

Bardiac said...

Congrats on the good news, and sorry about the other. Yeah, people get upset at meetings; I hope they work it out so that they're only crying for happiness in the future! (Say, when they tenure you!)

Rent Party said...

OT: I *love* your blog name, heu mihi.

undine said...

Sorry about Dream U, but congratulations on the job! Celebrate!