Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Job Search Update

I know what you're all thinking. You're thinking, "Heu! What the hell? You never tell us anything about your job search! In fact, are you even on the market?"

Well, grieve no more, for here's the current state of things.

Field College has made me a tenure-track offer. I've hemmed and hawed about whether I would take this offer, should it be made, and decided that yes, I would--unless Dream U (still silent) comes through. So I'm feeling moderately good about this offer. It means that they like me; it means health insurance; it means the most minuscule salary hike in history, but oh well. Maybe I'll get an office with a window once I'm on the t-t.

Meanwhile, I have emailed DU to let them know what my situation is and to (re-)express my deep and abiding interest in their institution.

I've also had a conversation with the other u's search chair. I was pretty nervous going into this conversation, as I was afraid that her advice/impressions re. my interview skilz would be less than flattering. But honestly? It was really helpful, both practically and psychologically. One of the things that swayed the committee against me was something that I suspected had been a problem--sort of an intellectual-fit issue, which I didn't help by not answering a couple of questions particularly well (and I was aware of this as the words were coming out of my mouth, unfortunately)--and the other was an easily-fixable issue regarding how I present my professional range. Finally, though, the major deciding factor was my relative lack of experience. The winning candidate has been out longer and has accordingly more teaching and publications. So...that's it. No big deal. My degree will only get older; with luck, I'll go on to teach and publish more, and then I'll be the annoyingly experienced candidate who bumps other people out of the running.

So it's not that I'm a dismal interviewee, or have horrendous interpersonal skills, or whatever--it's all stuff that I can address or that the passage of time will address for me.

In short: I feel better this week. Much better. And while life might not become perfect for a little while longer, that doesn't mean that I'll never get where I want to be. As a friend reminded me this afternoon, "Academic careers are really long."

12 comments:

kermitthefrog said...

Congratulations on your offer! And fingers crossed that Dream U realizes you're a catch.

Fretful Porpentine said...

Yay you! (Now, if only my place would make me a tenure-track offer...)

Thoroughly Educated said...

Excellent news! It's good to have a secure position from which to dream, if dreaming seems in order.

Hilaire said...

Hooray!! Congrats on the offer from Field College! That's great news. And I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Dream U.

Dr. Virago said...

Huzzah! It's nice to be wanted and to have some job security, health insurance and all that. But here's hoping Dream U comes through!

Sisyphus said...

Hooray! Employment! Backup plans! (so much better than figuring out how much bartending would do to support you).

Good luck with all the rest of the finageling.

What Now? said...

Congrats on the tenure-track job offer! Certainly a year or two there will help your degree age gracefully as you build up the CV and then head out for greener pastures. (Or less green pastures, I guess, since you'd presumably want to move out of the Field where Field U is!)

squadratomagico said...

Yay! Great news! If not Dream U this year, then another Dream U in another few years! This is wonderful - congratulations!

undine said...

Congratulations on the offer!

Bardiac said...

Congrats on the offer!

heu mihi said...

Thanks, guys!

Belle said...

Hey hoo! Congratulations (a bit late, obviously)! Fingers crossed for DU!