Saturday, October 6, 2007

Teaching Query

This is probably a long shot, but has anyone out there taught That Female Poet of Ancient Greece* before? We're reading her for my upper-level course this week, and, while I have some ideas for how to approach her poetry (how we read ancient texts, articulation of desire), I'd be interested in hearing how other people have addressed her poetry in the classroom. (*Deliberately obfuscated to avoid Google searches.)

So yeah, I have some ideas, but since the upper-level course is well out of my AOS and I've only ever read FPAG (what an awful acronym) in preparation for this very course--like five weeks ago, and then again this weekend, to be honest--any and all suggestions would be welcome. I love her poetry, by the way:

I do not expect my fingers
to graze the sky,

for starters. Anyway, what I'm interested in is how we draw inferences based upon such small scraps. But since they haven't had any critical readings on this (other than the introduction to our edition), and this is hardly my area of expertise, I'm not sure how far I can go with that idea. Any resources that any of you would recommend? Other approaches to her poems?

I'll come up with something, I'm sure. But hey--y'all are a resource, and, in the Great American Tradition, I might as well exploit you. Right?

1 comment:

Belle said...

Disclaimer: I've dealt with her only in the larger context of Greek sexuality. Specifically that they didn't share our hangups and problems with homosexuality, and thus we must begin by getting away from the titillation factor and giggles.

That rarely works. When I teach AG and use Lysistrata, the students are horribly embarrassed. Go figure.