Friday, October 5, 2007

No Show

Yep, that's right: The Student didn't turn up for our meeting.

He did come to class, though--about 10 minutes late. And wandered out halfway through the hour for a while (to go to the bathroom or something; I don't know--this is unprecedented behavior on his part). When I walked up to him after class (standing over his desk, all severe) and said, "You missed our meeting this morning," he replied:

"What? Oh, right. My bad."

"11:00 Monday morning," I said.

"Yeah, okay."

Maybe someday, someday, this stupid situation will be resolved. In the meantime, I like to think that I have him on the run. At any rate his passive-aggressive techniques (if that's what they are) aren't actually bothering me all that much.

So much of my anxiety about this situation--and about teaching in general--seems to have melted away this week. I don't know why. But I'm hoping that it lasts: everything seems kind of...fine. For one thing, I'm not sweating through my shirt every time I stand up in front of a class. And I'll take that as a sign of success.

It's Friday, and I'm feeling good.

4 comments:

Belle said...

I think it is passive-aggressive. How are the other students reacting to his behavior? I'd add it to his list of transgressions. He's being disruptive and disrespectful to you and your students. No need to be angsty about it; it just is.

I'm glad you're not stressed about it or teaching. You go girl!

medieval woman said...

passive-aggressive little shit.

I'm glad you've melted away the anxiety, though! Yay!

kermitthefrog said...

If you've already returned his paper, he probably has more than an inkling that he's in trouble, and now he's frantically avoiding confrontation. Given what you want the conversation to be like, that's probably a good start...

Notorious Ph.D. said...

"Oh yeah, my bad."

I hope this little shit gets his comeuppance in the world outside the protected walls of the university.

I'm glad you've scheduled the meeting. But if he misses this one, I would not suggest you try to reschedule again. This guy may think he's just found a nifty new way to yank your chain.