Friday, October 19, 2007

A freshly minted plum

I hereby declare myself officially tired of the following words and phrases:
  • freshly minted, esp. in reference to Ph.D.s*
  • plum (adj.)*
  • outside the box (yes, I know, everybody's been sick of this one for years, and yet apparently some people didn't get the memo)
  • didn't get the memo
  • create a buzz, buzzing
  • student learning
  • learning environment
  • student-centered (thank goodness my teaching philosophy is already written, eh?)
(*Can you tell that I've been spending too much time on the Chronicle's website?)

Und so weiter
. There are others. Perhaps I'll add them later. But right now I really need to be prepping for the class that starts in 36 minutes, not thinking of words I hate. Do you have anything to add?

Also, please see my preceding post and sign up for presents, please.

7 comments:

Sisyphus said...

Hi, could I get a rack of fresh-minted PhDs with plum sauce? Inside the box, please. kthxbai!

kermitthefrog said...

The Franklin Mint is pleased to announce its limited-release collection of Ph.D.s. Each box includes 12 gold and 12 dross.

Belle said...

Discourse.

Dis course of newly minted PhDs, drenched in plum sauce, is creating a buzz in a student-centered creative learning environment. We know this because we've been assessed to death.

heu mihi said...

Ah, ha ha ha. You guys are funny.

heu mihi said...

That looks facetious, doesn't it? It isn't. I was laughing.

Bardiac said...

"Best practices." Especially when there's no funding for small class sizes, though research shows those are part of the whole "best practices" thing.

And every single catchword associated with assessment.

I'm going to go curl up in fetal position on the couch now. :(

Notorious Ph.D. said...

I'll second Bardiac's "best practices"/assesment jargon, and raise you one "perfect storm".

I've also recently been treated to "facticity", but it's only one person using it (repeatedly), so I'll hope it's an isolated incident.