Monday, July 23, 2007

Resolutions

A few years ago, my dad's new year's resolution was to quit grunting every time he straightened up (or stood up--I can't remember which). He kept it.

In that spirit, my resolution this year was to stop standing around in the shower after I'd turned off the water, kicking puddles towards the drain. I assume that I developed this habit as a way of postponing the chilliness attending my lunge out of the shower and towards the towels.

Anyway, here we are in July and I've successfully changed my post-shower behavior. I don't know why it mattered to me so much--it just really irritated me, how I'd dawdle in there.

I like this approach to resolutions. No huge, vague "Must get in shape!!!!! Will be more productive!!!!!"-type things, just identifying some little habit that irritates you and putting an end to it. Now I need to find another one for next year--shouldn't be too difficult!

5 comments:

dan said...

i actually had a resolution to keep a resolution this year.

failed.

Sisyphus said...

Hee hee. I wish my dad made that resolution.

jb said...

Yeah, my dad is kind of adorable.

Hi Dan--speaking of failure, I've been trying to think of a clever reply to your comment and, uh, can't. Oh well.

medieval woman said...

Oh god - this is a great idea! Mine is to stop saying "we need to do something" when I'm actually wanting the Dutchman to do it - it drives him crazy and I'm starting to hate the "royal we meaning you" as well...

jb said...

Would that be the royal we? Or some kind of...peasant we?