Friday, February 16, 2007

A slow week

Thanks to those who answered my journal-query earlier this week! I'm hoping to get my article out in the next couple of weeks, and your answers gave me some good leads. I appreciate it.

Remarkably little going on over here. Let's see:

-For some reason, I agreed to read over and comment on someone's novel manuscript. So I've been working on that a little bit. It's not terrible--the story idea is kind of interesting, and the writing has some good moments--but it needs work. Which would be fine, if it weren't for my editing reflex. I can't just let awkward sentences go and then give the author a general comment like, "Watch out for awkward sentences." No, no. I have to flag every single one of them, usually indicating why I think they're awkward and/or adding a suggestion or two for rephrasing. Luckily, this is not a person that I know; I don't have to worry about any personal relationship getting in the way of my comments (or my comments getting in the way of any personal relationship). But don't ask me why I undertook this project. I don't know. I don't know! Too late to get out of it, though.

-I've been watching Season 3 of "24" lately. That's good fun. My dreams, however, are turned extremely violent, and I won't deny the possibility of a connection.

-As I type this, I am defragmenting my computer. I find the shifting bars of red, green, and blue to be very soothing.

-Ummmm...right. I do occasionally accomplish some legitimate work, too.

I will conclude with a comic from the site Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, to which I have recently been introduced.


No comments: