Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Dissertation: DONE

I turned in my dissertation yesterday.

Not the final-final version, but the pre-defense version; nonetheless, I got to print out a beautiful title page with "submitted in partial requirement of the degree of doctor of philosophy" and a table of contents and all that stuff. Sooo pretty!

The finalizing process was brutal, though. I was still waiting for my advisor's comments on the most recent version that she had (a two-month-old draft), and at about 2 pm I got an email that basically said, "I can live with it." Not the wild applause that I was hoping for, but, okay. (And there were a fair number of typos and weirdo sentences in that draft, to be honest. Which have been eradicated through three days of backbending labor.)

Then there was the photocopying. Oh, dear god, the photocopying.

Then I carried 1500 pages of text around campus, leaving 300 pages in the boxes of each of my 4 committee members. No two of whom have offices (or mailboxes) in the same building.

Then I went home, with my own 300 pages.

And felt really, really tired.

And today I turned on my computer and started screwing around, as usual, and felt this little I-should-get-to-work pang, and then I thought: Hey! No I shouldn't!

7 comments:

Hilaire said...

Hey, congratulations!! That's wonderful. Take lots of time for yourself now. Savour it all.

I remember the feeling of the 1500 pages. Oh god. Like it was yesterday.

medieval woman said...

That's fantastic!!! Congratulations - and I know each one of those buildings you had to take things to - English, Comp Lit and Classics, yes? And they're all over the place, but fortunately the Blue Room with their chocolate chocolate chip muffins is in between (do you see how we can talk about our school and still be obscure??).

Seriously, that's wonderful - I never got enthusiasm from advisor either. Although once she smirked at me and gave me a thumbs up....I was glowing for weeks.

Now, take two months off and write another novel! :)

Dr. Virago said...

Yay! Congratulations!

Bardiac said...

Fantastic! Congratulations!

jb said...

Thanks, everyone! I can't wait until the defense is over and I can *really* feel finished. But close enough....

(MW, I look forward to receiving a thumbs-up myself, one day. For now, I can only dream.)

Another Damned Medievalist said...

Congratulations! Isn't it a great feeling?

jb said...

It sure is!

And now my defense is scheduled. In exactly 4 weeks, I'll be officially ready to, uh, write that conference paper!