Monday, December 13, 2010

House, Part I

So the house pictures are going to have to come in phases, I'm afraid--a) because I have so very many of them (lucky you!) and b) because it's the only way to get me to post more than once a month, apparently.

All the pictures have been imported AND reduced to a manageable size, though, so I have no further excuses! Here goes.

Up for today: The Outside of the House and the Living Room.

1) Outside. Here is what my house looks like.




Isn't it darling? Isn't it sweet? Doesn't it have a striking front porch? (Ignore the aluminum siding, please.) Our little bungalow was built in 1900 and, in the '30s and '40s, was a grocery store/coffee shop. This means that it's almost certain that Field's Most Famous Alumnus drank coffee in our house at some point. This seems impressive, but for the fact that our offices are also in the building where he used to have swim practice or something. Anyway. I don't like FMFA anyway, so we can all just get over this bit of trivia.

2) The Living Room. The living room comes in many parts. First, the light:


The room faces South and West, so that's the sunset through our almost-brand-new windows.



Cats enjoy the view.



I love the light in this house. The living room, dining room, and kitchen all face South, so the light just glows across the hardwood floors all day. The windows all seem to come in twos and threes, too, so there's a wonderful feeling of openness in every room.

The living room is so big that we decided to have it house our desks as well as our "social furniture," and there's still plenty of space:


We just got the couch--which dates from the '20s--off of Craig's List at quite a good bargain. Despite appearances, the velvet is all the same color (there's some weird reflection thing going on in this picture).


Of course, there are also fabulous built-in bookcases, and yes, the fireplace works. (We're waiting on a framer to finish with the piece of art that will go behind the mantel clock.)

And while we're in the living room, take a look at the Morris Chair we just found and had reupholstered:


What really sold us on it were these guys:


We've named them after (very obscure) Arthurian knights from Malory. Ten points to anyone who can guess what they are! Also, check out those vents--the cats love them (hence the cat bed in front of this one). Next time, when we're in the dining room, I'll show you the cats' favored sleeping-place.

And I'll leave you with the view from the living room into the dining room. We painted both of these rooms (as well as both bedrooms and the bathroom); the walls in both of these two rooms were originally white with brown-beige sponge painting. Not particularly attractive.


Pardon me while I bask in the beauty of my home....

17 comments:

squadratomagico said...

How lovely! Congratulations! It's a beautiful house -- I like the line of the roof and the cute porch, from the outside; and like you, I adore all the sunny-sunny-sunny windows and openness. It looks so cozy!

And how cool that it was a grocery store and coffee house! Your home has seen many warm meetings and social encounters and dates and studying, etc. It gives it an interesting history.

Lastly, I love your yellow!

LenapeGirl said...

It is beautiful and a real home - lucky cats! I like those big windows, too. Enjoy it for a long time.

moria said...

And pardon me while I bask in the beauty of your home! I've been craving settled domestic bliss a lot lately, and yours as represented here is so emblematic of my daydreams. Covet. (And I'll take aluminum siding any day if it comes with a fabulous porch.)

undine said...

Lovely house! Great light! It must be wonderful to sit on that porch.

Notorious Ph.D. said...

I love your house!

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

Wow. How gorgeous! I love it!

Good Enough Woman said...

I love my house, but I LOOOOVVEE your house. Pardon me while I covet it.

Llyn said...

Your house is beautiful! That light, oh my!

Dr. Koshary said...

Gorgeous! No wonder you're basking!

That roll-top desk is pretty cute, too. I guess it's actually feasible to use that, now that computers have gotten so small. I always liked the look of them, but wondered how useful they really were.

maude said...

So cool!!

Sisyphus said...

Oh, it is so cute on the outside! Is it teeny, or pretty big inside?

I love the light and big open windows, and the shiny hardwood floors, and the built-ins and fireplace ---- swoon!

And I love *love* LOVE the curved red velvet couch. Will abscond with it if you are not careful.

Kendra said...

Beautiful inside and out! Congratulations!

What Now? said...

Oh, yay! Love the house, love how you're decorating it. Can't wait for the next batch o' pictures!

Belle said...

I lust after that chair. Gah.

Dr. Virago said...

Gorgeous!

Flavia said...

GASPING from the gorgeousness. Congratulations!

Bardiac said...

Gorgeous!

Isn't Kay one of the knights who goes around being rude to people who show up at court? if so, I guess Kay for one. And Bedevere for the other (because I like saying the name).