Monday, April 14, 2008

I did something.

Over the weekend I emailed Top Choice Publisher # 1 and asked them a question about their proposal submission procedure. I got an email back bright and early this morning telling me to send X, Y, and Z. So now I have to do it. Like, now.

NB: This is not an indication of interest on the press' part. I have told them nothing about myself or my MS. So we shan't get excited. But I don't feel that I can reply with "Oh, yeah, I'll do that at some point when I've actually finalized my ToC and got a sample chapter together" since my initial email made it sound like I was ready to submit.

So tonight I must buff up the sample chapter and try to figure out all of my chapter subheads so that my table of contents looks semi-reasonable. And revise the proposal itself for the billionth time. This after 4 hours of teaching with corresponding prep (approx. 2-3 hours this morning) and a 2-hour search committee meeting--basically I was working solidly from 7 am to 5 pm, and now I've got more than a few hours ahead. Eep...

...and I'm also supposed to be finalizing my top-5 candidate list, reading and prepping for Wednesday (that can, and will, wait), grading 57 annotated bibs and various straggling papers, and doing fuck knows what else. Guess what--all of that can be done tomorrow. Well, the grading will be tight. I'll just have to rock it.

I'm a little stressed.

This is a good thing. I've been sitting on this damn proposal since like January. Or actually October, when my advisor told me that it was ready. No, my MS is not as prettied up as I'd like it to be, but when I was working hard a couple of weeks ago I was able to get through almost a chapter a day. That would have slowed down if I'd reached the later chapters, which are more complicated, but still--I can get this work done if I just do it. And my incentive has been low. But now, well, it isn't.

In sum: Pressure = good.

**************************************************

Now, for visual variety, and because I meant to do this last month, I give you a Picture from China.

3 comments:

medieval woman said...

Yay you!!! Go for it!

kermitthefrog said...

Niiice.

Notorious Ph.D. said...

hey, good for you! Looks like there's something in the air, huh? I hope we get to meet up at k'zoo, so we can compare notes on this part of the process.