Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Ugh.

Well, the theory is that I've internetically caught the cold that Dr. Crazy received telephonically from her mother. Or that one of my many sick students has slipped me some of his or her germs. Or that my allergies are just especially bad today (too much goddamn lawn-mowing around here!), compounded by the fact that I've been getting up too early. Seriously. Way too early.

Luckily the teaching today was light. We did peer-workshopping in both sections of comp, which meant that I didn't have to perform. (Of course, I do need to read and comment on 32 papers by Friday, so I'm paying for my comfort.) In the survey we wrapped up SGGK. I love teaching my survey; I really do. My energy level always seems to be at its best in that class.

Anyway, I came home after class, changed into pajama pants--one thing graduate school taught me was to spend as little time as possible in things like bras, belts, and socks--and took an allergy pill just to see whether that would do anything. It's too soon to tell, but I'm hoping that some sleep tonight will clear things up. It has to! I fly to the Metropole on Friday evening.

In other news, one of the things about this small college in this small town is that I essentially have to be a Professor at all times (unless I'm ensconced in my apartment. With the blinds shut. And even then, there's a student in the apartment underneath mine--not one of my students, luckily). The students, they are everywhere.

Zum beispiel:

-I have been swimming three times in the last week, and ran into students on two occasions: I am therefore buying a new swim suit. The old one is a disgrace and it's bad enough that my students are seeing me almost-naked without my worrying about the weak elastic causing me to flash them at every flip-turn.

-I attended a yoga class last night, and the teacher is the mother of one of my students.

It's crazy! I don't really mind all this, but it is taking some adjusting, and I'm not used to paying so much attention to my dress and appearance. On Saturday, for example, I ran into one of my students on my way home from the liquor store; luckily the six-pack and bottle of wine were safely concealed in a canvas bag, but that didn't stop my bra strap from exposing itself.

Yeah. So that's Field Town, and me in it.

5 comments:

Fretful Porpentine said...

In other news, one of the things about this small college in this small town is that I essentially have to be a Professor at all times (unless I'm ensconced in my apartment. With the blinds shut. And even then, there's a student in the apartment underneath mine--not one of my students, luckily). The students, they are everywhere.

Heh. About three and a half weeks after I moved to New SLAC Town, it started pouring rain, the first rain we'd seen since I moved. So naturally, I did what I would have done when I was in grad school, which was put on a swimsuit and get out there in the rain.

Yeah. The student next door saw me frolicking around in my bathing suit like a crazy woman. Fortunately he isn't one of mine, and may not even have tumbled to the fact that I'm faculty yet, but that experience definitely taught me to watch what I do around here!

heu mihi said...

Wow. That tops me! Although it's funny that swim suits figure into both of our professorial shame scenarios.

Bardiac said...

I know faculty members who've gotten phone calls from the college president because some concerned citizen saw them buy liquor (sp?) in town. UGH!

Medical care and liquor both deserve a trip to the next town over. There is NO privacy for faculty in a small town, especially single female faculty.

heu mihi said...

Ew, that's awful. Haven't these "concerned citizens" heard of a little thing called *grading*? Faculty alcohol should be subsidized.

flacius1551 said...

and then there's the moment when you're grading papers and order a pizza and the young person who delivers it is a student in your class and you come to the door in robe and slippers...