Wednesday, September 26, 2007

In stark contrast to my previous post

Not much to report. Just checking in to say that I'm tired. And a little cranky. And somehow behind in my work, only two days into the week, after a solidly productive weekend. What the hell?

Grumble, grumble. Too much to do today and all I want to do is sleep in....

But okay, I think I know what's going on. We're in the middle 1/3 of the semester (it's the 6th week, after all), and, as Porpentine recently said, the honeymoon is over. A good number of my students don't seem to be keeping up with the reading. Some of the freshmen seem to have become more relaxed with one another and simultaneously less concerned with impressing me. And I, I am tired. I need an actual day, or even just a half-day, entirely off: when I can be thinking about things other than classes and not dwelling on how much work I'll have to do later, once the non-working is over.

In better news, though, once Wednesday is finished, I always feel as though the weekend is almost upon me. Each class just meets one more time, and then I get two days away from campus! Hooray!

ETA: Coffee helps--as does the realization that there might be a hormonal element to my particular despair (much as I hate admitting to that as a cause). I feel much more capable of dealing with the world now. And today, we are talking about what kinds of claims can and cannot be defended--even though technically that's supposed to be the focus of Comp II. Whatever. Today, the stick bears down.

(--In the mildest possible fashion. Seriously, I am not a scary teacher. Although I am working on a certain expressionless stare that seems to be effective in dealing with the more rambunctious elements....)

ETA2: Another thing that's probably stressing me out? I should be hearing back about an article any day now. I'm very nervous and hopeful; somehow I've convinced myself that my entire future rides on this thing (which it doesn't! it doesn't!).

2 comments:

Another Damned Medievalist said...

when you find a day off, let me know what it was like! It seems there are only days of different kinds of work.

heu mihi said...

I know; I'm hardly alone in my situation, of course. And it's not like I didn't work a lot (or always feel like I needed to be working) in grad school. The difference is just the stress level, I think--I find myself getting very *worried* about my classes because they're all so new to me. And then they go fine (or fine enough), and I think, Hey, I don't need to get all worked up every day! But then I get worked up again anyway.... The anxiety, it's getting me down.