Thursday, September 6, 2007

Grading

That's right, I'm grading. And you know what else? This is the second batch of papers I've graded this semester. I sure do get things going early, no?

It's good, though, to get an early gauge on how I'm pitching my lectures/discussions, especially since this is a whole new batch of students and I don't quite know what to expect. So far, it seems that I'm going too fast for some and too slow for others--in other words, doing about as well as I can reasonably do.

But for some reason (crazy, I know, to be fantasizing about doing other things while grading) what I really want to do these days is go back and reread Malory's Morte. Odd, I know, since it's not the most page-turning of novels or whatever. Perhaps I'm nostalgic for my first reading of it? Although the time in my life when I read it was not an especially happy time, so I'm not sure that that explains it. I do like some bits an awful lot, but the persistence of this craving is a little puzzling. And since I can't conceivably fit it into any current or upcoming research projects, and I have plenty of other work on my plate, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to indulge.

Anyone else have obscure reading urges? Is this a common feeling--the desire to read a very specific book, even one that's not necessarily a favorite?

No comments: