Tuesday, April 17, 2007

I'm Off

...in a couple of hours. It's weird to be leaving so late in the day; I feel at loose ends.

I'm really looking forward to this trip: it's the first time that I've been able to justify overseas travel for work! I'm starting off at a conference in a city I've been to before but never for very long (I'm taking an extra day to walk around and look at things), and then I'm travelling to two new places--one on a layover on the flight back. I'm not taking my computer. I'm not taking any work. Well, I am taking some fiction that I want to revise, but that doesn't really count.

There's one downside to this whole expedition, however. When I bought the tickets, months and months ago, I kind of figured that I'd have next year sorted out by now, and, well, I don't. So I'm having my calls forwarded to my partner's phone, and I'll be checking in with him and checking email all the time while I'm gone, in case someone wants to contact me. Which means that there's a little shred of stress associated with my trip, but there's nothing to be done for that.

And honestly, I've been feeling so much better about the job thing recently. I don't know exactly why, except that maybe I "hit bottom" (as they say) a few weeks ago and came to terms with it? I don't know. But I think that I've worked out the worst case scenario for next year, and am taking some steps to lock that in as a back-up, and it isn't so terrible. In fact, WCS would allow me to visit my partner every weekend--unheard of!--since I'd only be about two hours away from him. And it would give me some time to start working on a new article, maybe. (Provided I could get access to an academic library somewhere. But that should be manageable.) So, while I'm still holding out hope for a couple of things, and some outcomes would be more exciting than others, I actually think that I'm okay with whatever happens. This is such a huge relief. And it's helping me to not resent or envy the few people I know who did get jobs this year, especially who were also on the market for the first time. Besides, it's not all that long until next year's JIL comes out!

But the point is that I'm going away. I plan to check in from the road periodically, but I'm not sure how often I'll actually do that, and I probably won't be reading many blogs while I'm gone (but oh, the hours of reading delight that will await me upon my return!).

................................................................

In completely other news, I've been thinking a lot about the VATech shooting. I don't have anything to say about it that hasn't been said, better, elsewhere. But my thoughts and sympathy go out to all of those who were affected. It's such a terrifying thing to have happened. Words fail me.

3 comments:

squadratomagico said...

Have a wonderful, relaxing, and productive trip!

Sisyphus said...

Not taking a computer? Mygod, how will she live!

Be sure you _do_ take a camera; whether you end up posting any lovely pics or no, it's always nice to have shots from a trip and I _never_ remember to bring mine.

jb said...

Camera is in hand! Relaxation is...en route. Soon, soon! (Twelve-thirty tonight, to be precise!)