Saturday, March 6, 2010

On the other hand, my students rock

I appreciate the commiseration on the previous post! I love my bloggers.

So here we are on the first day of Spring Break (WOO HOO), the sun is shining brightly, the snow is still melting, TM made dutch babies for breakfast (delicious and not at all cannibalistic), and away we go. Plans for the week include getting the garden organized, a two-night stay in New Northern City (which is not actually new, but new to us, because we've never been there, but I've only ever heard good things about it), and reading Crime and Punishment so as not to be prepping by the skin of my teeth for the rest of the month.

And, to counterbalance yesterday's moroseness (morosity?), here are three nice student-related things that happened yesterday.
  1. Class went pretty well. We were on our last day of Jane Eyre, and we had a good, energetic discussion--at least, the 80% of the students who showed up (the Friday afternoon before break) and I did.

  2. I am now the Faculty Advisor for the newly formed Field College Pagan Society. Yes, that's right: a Christian college in the most conservative county in Field State now has a Pagan Society. I am, may I say, touched that the organizers thought of me when deciding whom to ask to be an advisor. I'd never met one of them, though she's tangentially in the major, but the other is a first-year who was in my comp class last semester, and...yes. I'm touched. (Also, they told me that I don't have to attend their Sabat and Esbat rituals if I'm busy, so the time commitment should be pretty minimal.)

    Apparently my weird-kid credentials haven't all abandoned me. I'm pretty happy about that.

  3. I had a really great hour-long talk with one of my advisees after class. She's cool--very bright, loves English, very...overcommited. That was the main point of the conversation: whether or not she should stick with secondary ed certification, since what she really wants to do is to go to grad school, not to teach high school. Yes, I know. But what she seems to want--now--is to take more English classes, to pursue an Honors thesis, to study art and foreign languages, and from my point of view, anyway, sacrificing those things to get professional certification in something that you're not very interested in is a waste of college. Perhaps I'm overly committed to the ideal of a liberal arts education? At least she doesn't have parental pressure to stay with Education. But I told her to think hard about it over the break and see how the decision to give up one thing or another felt. And then we just talked, about travel and what it's like to live in different places, and it was lovely--maybe in part because so many of our students are reluctant to think about moving out of Central Field State at all. It's exciting to have a student who wants to travel abroad and live all over the place.
Anyway. The point is that it was, in the balance a good day, capped by the pleasure of a dinner out with TM.

And now I'm off to get started on some Spring Break activities. First up: Laundry!

10 comments:

squadratomagico said...

Glad you're feeling better! And: Go Pagans! Enjoy your new promotion to High Priestess.

Good Enough Woman said...

What Squaddy said! And also, your spring break sounds lovely. Enjoy!

undine said...

Glad you're back. And your advisee can always get the certification later, if she still wants to.

Captcha is "hordwerm," which sounds like an Old English word, somehow.

Psycgirl said...

I think there are some students who are just made for grad school - she sounds like one of them!

Prof. Koshary said...

What good antidote for the last post's topic, eh? :)

The Pagan Society business amuses me tremendously. I would *love* to have such service work on my CV!

Belle said...

What a great start to Spring Break! Have a fun one!

What are dutch babies???

heu mihi said...

Dutch Babies are delicious battery pancake things that are baked and then warmed berries are put in the middle and you sprinkle confectioner's sugar on top.

OK, I have no idea how to make them. But they are delicious!

Maude Lebowski said...

The SB has "pagan" listed as his official religion on his dog tags. And we were married on a solstice. And when I think of pagan, I humorously remember Dragnet the movie--People Against Goodness And Normalcy. Hehehehe. You rock! I'm actually really jealous.

Have a great Spring Break!

Notorious Ph.D. said...

I hope to the gods that "faculty advisor to the pagan club" is going on your CV somewhere.

heu mihi said...

Of course it is! But not at the top of the list, I'm afraid--some professional-image control is still required (and Director of the Honors Program *is* more central to my campus identity, anyway).

I may need to dig up my old pentagram necklace, however.