Thursday, March 5, 2009

And another (good) thing

I just had my annual progress meeting. It went well. It went very well.

I admit that I was a little nervous. What if my chair, with whom I get along superbly, decided to call me out on my flaws? I am, after all, opinionated, vehement in meetings, and complain an awful lot. Sometimes I also wear really pilly sweaters.* But instead of pointing out such things he said that I am "terrific" and "fabulous." [Other comments have been redacted in the interests of making a pretense of humility.] It was so good that it actually made me a little bit uncomfortable, and I was glad when the meeting ended. It's weird to be evaluated to your face, even when the evaluation is good.

But, yay, I still have a job.

*ETA: I've also become a terrible gossip. Terrible! I haven't been this bad since middle school. But everyone else here is too--it's really the only way that information of any kind gets disseminated--so I shouldn't be surprised that that doesn't count against me. Yikes, though--I don't like justifying my flaws this way. I think I'm going to work on that.

6 comments:

medieval woman said...

Many many congrats!!!

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Yay, you!

Gossip... like tawdry sex: it feels so exciting and good at the time, and you feel a bit icky and soiled afterward.

ink said...

Hooray! That's great news.

And since gossip is now recognized in some circles as a genre, perhaps we can think of gossip time as a creative endeavor...ooh, maybe we can put it in our annual reports, too, as professional development!

Good Enough Woman said...

So now I'm wondering what you complain about.

What Now? said...

Hurray -- that's fabulous! I'm so glad you're being appreciated (and, of course, that you still have a job!).

Nice that you get to celebrate this fabulous accomplishment with a Caribbean sailboat spring break -- not too shabby.

undine said...

Congrats! "Terrific" and "fabulous"--that should make the midterm grading easier to bear.