Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Pause

I'm here in my warm, tiny kitchen, sitting at the table next to the heat vent. The little pink-shaded light is glowing on the wide windowsill, next to the pepper plant, the small jade, and a couple of Christmas cards. Bottles of scotch are lined up at the end of the sill, awaiting more strenuous days. Behind me, on the stove, the milk is cooling for this week's yogurt. It's snowing.

My comp textbook is beside me, closed.

I'll work on my syllabus soon, I promise.

But right now, I think I'll just enjoy this.

3 comments:

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Do enjoy it. These moments of quiet beauty are precious.

Ortho said...

I'm jealous ... "bottles of scotch" ... I finished my only bottle last night. I need to get some today, but the snow, sleet, and treacherous streets might keep me at home.

How do you make your yogurt? Do you put fruit or nuts in it?

heu mihi said...

Yogurt: Well, I culture it (very simple--get a starter (yogurt from the store--a couple of tablespoons will do); heat up your unpasteurized milk just to the boil, then let it cool to between 110-115 degrees; whip up the starter in a non-metallic bowl; whip the milk into the starter, a tablespoon at a time, until you've got about a cup in there, then just slowly mix it in and keep whipping; cover with saran wrap, swaddle it in a towel, and set it in a cold oven (ideally with a pilot light on) for about 8 hours). I eat it, though, with granola (lots of nuts) and sometimes some thawed-out berries...very good!

As for "bottles," well, one has about one drink left in it, and the other is almost full, so it's about one bottle's worth of scotch. But, as it comes in two bottles currently, I'm not actually exaggerating.