Thursday, January 15, 2009

No school!

Hurrah! It's extremely cold--my computer is reading -17 F, not including wind chill--and classes are canceled!

What's great is that this truly is the day when I can have my class canceled and not fall behind. They read a bunch of stuff for today, but it was all kind of introductory (for an upper-level class) and I really wasn't sure how I would fill 75 minutes with it. But next week we will have plenty to discuss!

In other news, there are a lot of things that I want to write about. First, how happy and delightful and cheery I've been all of this week--the first week of classes--and then how my spirits sort of plummeted last night when I came to terms with the fact that I'm probably not getting any fly-outs at this point, and then how I saw that much of the source of my dissatisfaction is in the truly ego-driven competitive sense of what kind of job I "should" have.... But this is matter for another post, so I'll just leave it at that, and allow this unexpected day off to restore my earlier cheeriness. Whatever shall I do with myself this morning?

2 comments:

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Hey, look at it this way: no fly-outs means no need to prep a job talk!

heu mihi said...

I am indeed grateful for that--and for no travel in this delay-riddled season!