Monday, December 1, 2008

Too Many Things to Count

So what's new in the World of Perfection, you ask? Well, no, you don't ask, but that's to be expected, and does not bother me in the least. Anyway it's been a good long time since I posted, so I do feel that I ought to tell you something, even though I have nothing very particular to tell.

I'm quite tired. Tired of the semester, that is. We have another week and a half (GOOD LORD our semesters are long, people) (no longer than most of yours, of course, but they're all pretty damn long, no? so we can all whine equally?) and it was all I could do to muster the wherewithal to drag myself to my classes today. Tomorrow I have two classes, then three on Weds, and ONE on Thurs (I love Thursdays), and three on Fri, and three on Mon, and two on Tues, and three on Weds, and I'm done. Yes, enumerating them like that helps.

I spent Thanksgiving with The Minister's enormous family. Flights went smoothly and we returned just ahead of the big 36-hour snow that's been beautifying the town of Field. The family is, as I say, enormous (in number of people, not girth), but highly entertaining. Of particular note was the two-year-old who wailed out a despairing "No, no, no" whenever he was presented with anything at all; the utter weariness and disgust of his repeated lament suggested that we'd all got it all wrong and should just start everything--the whole wretched world into which he'd had the misfortune of being born--all over again. TM and I have picked up his habit. It amuses us--though nothing can top the trashcousins. But, "trashcousins" being harder to work naturally into conversation (and more likely to be misconstrued), it doesn't get used all that often.

So yesterday I got sort of caught up with things (the book languishes despite my most valiant efforts--o how I want to be done with it) and then today was my very long day--about 9 hours in the office--and I had many moments of real crankiness over this and that. I assumed that, because the end is so very very nigh, I would have at least some degree of resilience this week; alas, it is not to be. I raged against several emails, my inexplicable inability to log on to the intranet, the fact that we didn't have a snow day, and the unplowed sidewalks between my home and campus. (Just yesterday The Minister was telling me that I should own boots, and by gum, he's right. For some reason I do not own boots. For some reason I resist buying any extra pairs of shoes. In fact, in light of the death of Jdimytai Damour at a Long Island Wal-Mart on Friday, I no longer feel like buying much of anything. Did you read about that? Go read about it now. It is horrifying. Truly. I want to cancel all Christmas shopping out of respect to him, or something.)

So, um...where was I? Oh yes. Railing. Well, my complaints seem rather trivial in light of that parenthetical.

Well but anyway, yes, I was grouchy, and I'm over it, although I didn't get over it until an hour-long drive in the ice to get the milk*--a round-trip that normally takes 15 minutes--during which the car got stuck in the snow and then later I fell on the ice trying to get out of the car (yes!! I need boots!! I know!!). Then I got in the car to drive home and sort of burst into tears for a minute, and everything immediately felt better. Yep. That's how Monday goes, sometimes.

*I promise to put together my much anticipated "milk post" one of these days. For some reason I feel like I need to lead up to it. I don't even know what I mean by that; I'm just...unprepared. I don't know. I'm tired. Whatever.

1 comment:

Ortho said...

Hi, Heu. I know what you mean. The end of the semester cannot come soon enough.

I hope you're doing alright. You seem overwhelmed.

Be careful. Be safe. Watch the ice. And, if you can afford them, purchase a pair of waterproof boots.

I hope you have a good day.