Monday, June 11, 2007

The Good and the Bad

The tension is mounting! The blogosphere demands to know: What did I do on my birthday????

Well, really nothing much. My SignifO sent me flowers, which was lovely, and we'll have dinner when I'm in his neck of the woods next week. I went to a nearby riverfront park that I hadn't been to in a while; that was kind of a mistake, because there's heavy construction going on right next to it, and the new highway seems to have consumed about a third of the (already very small) park. That was kind of sad.

Then, after kicking around for a while wondering what to do with myself, I called up my friend H and we had a grand old evening of indolence and indulgence: a couple of beers at the ONLY (well, almost the only) outdoor waterfront bar around, then carryout Thai food and a romantic comedy of sorts. That was fun.

Also my brother and his fiancee sang me Happy Birthday, complete with musical accompaniment, over the phone. See? His fiancee is awesome.

So 31 was ushered in without much fanfare. Of course, as my mom reminded me when we spoke yesterday, there WILL BE a "party" when I go out to visit the family next week. My family makes a bit of a fuss around birthdays: there's always a Special Dinner of some kind, and presents, and usually (now that we're all of age) a bottle of champagne. But seeing as I'm going out there for my brother's wedding, I'm not sure how much time/attention I can expect to get. Not that I really want/need any. And as for the presents, well, I'm currently feeling that I shouldn't be allowed to have any possessions, at all, so I'm not sure that I need any gifts. But on the other hand: I love presents!

*********************************
On an entirely different note....

One of my mom's cats had to be put to sleep this morning. He died of that scourge of older felines: kidney failure. He was a very sweet cat and will be missed.


Rest in peace, little friend.

6 comments:

Sisyphus said...

RIP poor kitty!


Yum to the Thai food ... and of course you deserve presents! With bows! and glitter! And solid-gold doo-dads of some sort or another!


Mmmm .... solid-gold doo-dads.

Dr. Virago said...

RIP sweet kitty. And condolences to your mom -- it's always hard to let go of a pet, even when the time is right.

squadratomagico said...

Bye, pretty kitty! It's always sad!

Tiruncula said...

Condolences on the kitty cat. But (belated) happy birthday to you!

jb said...

Thanks for the condolences, everyone--it's always sad when a pet dies. Even when she or he's had a good, long life. And, Tiruncula, I was sorry to hear about ADd; I just read about her death today.

medieval woman said...

I'm sorry about the little kitty - I'm glad that you had a good birthday, tho!

Safe travels!