Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Epoisses

The promised cheese blogging!

Epoisses de Bourgogne is an unpasteurized cow's-milk cheese from France. It comes in a little round wooden container like a camembert. It is creamy and soft, with a fine orangey rind.

It's described as a "pungent" cheese, but I don't think it quite fits with the stinky-cheese variety. The smell to me is vaguely ammoniac, but in a pleasant way. The taste is kind of dark and musky. It's mild but full; it's hard for me to describe what it tastes like, exactly, but it's feeling in the mouth is really wonderful--so cool and creamy and big, somehow. It tends to coat the tongue and teeth.

I've eaten about 1/4 of it now...so one round should yield a full week of cheesy enjoyment!

3 comments:

Hilaire said...

Lovely! Thank you.

Have you ever tried Pierre Robert? I discovered it a couple of months ago...If you haven't, and you like strong, soft cheese, see if they have it at your cheese store next time! Mmmm...possibly the most amazing cheese I've eaten, though it really depends on its ripeness.

jb said...

Mmm, I'll look for it! Actually--wait--I think we had it at the cheese tasting, too; the name is familiar. (What are the odds? Four other cheeses at the tasting, and you name one of them; clearly, I am meant to eat this cheese.)

I sure do love me some cheese!!

Sisyphus said...

Hmm-hmmm. (strokes chin thoughtfully.) I see. I'm more of a hard cheese eater myself. Unless you're putting the soft cheese into a gratin or a tart of some sort. Mmmm!

What does one eat a epoisses with? Wine and grapes? Figs? Peppery lettuces?