Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Someone Talk Me Down, Please

Yesterday I got an email from an online writing tutoring thing that I applied for a while back. I applied for this job thinking that, if I ended up adjuncting, it would be a way to make a little extra money. It is not a CV-building kind of thing. It requires giving undergrads writing advice for 10+ hours a week. It would be time-consuming and dull.

So the email asks me to do a kind of tutoring test online--it's the next stage in the application process. This job pays (*shudder*) $12/hour for Ph.D.s. That's $2 more than they pay BAs. On principle alone, I shouldn't go on with this, right? Never mind that I'll be grading eight billion papers a month next semester and this is the last thing I should do with my time.

No, I don't want to go on with the application process! I don't want this job! And yet...I can't quite delete the email. $12 an hour is almost $500 a month! $500 a month for forty hours of mind-numbing tedium that I don't have time for! Somebody, make me turn away from this terrible opportunity!!

9 comments:

squadratomagico said...

No-no-no-no-no!

Back. Away. from the Computer.
Slooowwly.

You do not want this job, jb. You really don't. You'll be miserable. You won't have any time to enjoy those extra $500 because, between a 4-4 load and 10 additional hours per week of dull online work, you'll be insanely overscheduled and monumentally understimulated. Don't go there.

Hilaire said...

Oh my god. What S said. Don't do it!!

jb said...

I know. You're right! You're right. I know this perfectly well. It's just a thing I do, that I've always done, since high school--like the time I was applying for jobs right after college, and was offered two on the same day, and accepted them both. I was miserable. And I ended up quitting the better job after 3 months because the commute was longer. Which was dumb.

Sometimes I just need some external reinforcement....

Sisyphus said...

Don't do it!

Your time is worth money, esp with a PhD. Don't let the years of deprivation in grad school teach you otherwise.

Besides, tutors for Kaplan and such pay 25$ an hour for PhDs. Don't take less than that for shitty hourly jobs!

Tiruncula said...

Nonononononono!

What everybody else said.

You will not have the time.

You are worth more.

Dr. Virago said...

Nooooooooooooo! Don't do it! What everyone else said -- you won't have the time and the money's not worth it!

jb said...

Okay! Deleting email...now!

Thanks for talking me down from the ledge.

medieval woman said...

Another post-deleting NO! I can now say that you did the right thing! You'll be making a real salary next year and will have plenty of CV-building work on your plate!

You did the right thing...

Bardiac said...

I concur with all of the above. I know it's hard to turn down $12 an hour, but really, it's TORTURE hours, and $12 is not enough to be tortured.