Well I'm back, and in 10 minutes I leave for the train station. When will this mad jet-setter lifestyle come to an end????
I received an email today about a local adjunct opportunity, actually within my field. So if this campus visit went worse than I think that it did, or the other candidate's visit went better, or if I decide not to move halfway across the country to teach a 4-4 load, there are Alternatives.
At some point, perhaps tomorrow, I may write a bit about the visit itself. It was actually a pretty pleasant interview, and the faculty were all extremely warm and welcoming. For now, however, I would rather discuss something altogether unrelated. In brief:
Now that I'm not, you know, twelve, you'd think I'd be able to paint my frikkin toenails, right? Evidently, no. I almost never perform this bizarre and profane act, I confess, because when my toenails are painted my feet look like they belong to someone else, and I get kind of disoriented. Besides, feet are functional, not pretty, and gussying them up just strikes me as...bizarre and profane, I guess.* (I'm using "profane" in the sense of "vulgar, coarse," not in opposition to "sacred." Although, given how much walking I do--and how highly, therefore, I must value my feet--there is something kind of nice about the implied other meaning, here.) However I'm going to a shower in a few days and I have shoes that I think would just look better with some kind of decorated feet, so I bit the bullet and Performed the Act. I truly do suck at it, though. Perhaps my sucking has something to do with the fact that I fundamentally rebel against this particular act of adornment.
Whatever. No one at said shower will be close enough to my toes to notice, I hope.
Okay now I have 5 minutes until I leave for the train. I'd best pack up my computer!
And to all of you who are en route to The Conference, have fun and learn something!
*(I should mention that I don't usually think that other people look weird with painted toenails. It just feels to me like wearing an inappropriate and somewhat uncomfortable disguise. You know?)
3 comments:
Glad the interview went well!
And, oh my, I *totally* cannot paint my nails. It's always a disaster. And, like you, I always feel like some kind of major failure for having difficulty in this area!
I started adulthood with an anti-toenail-painting sentiment as well. I used to walk barefoot a lot, weather permitting, and fancy nails just seemed out of place on calloused, dirty feet. Then I went through a period of painting them, an interest which slowly tapered off and then came to a definitive end when I took up yoga. All those pulls into upward dog would smear the polish, even when dry.
Why is this so much fun to talk about?
Whoa! I'm totally the opposite - I used to hate my feet (and all feet in general), but I've grown to love my own through the years. I have had CONSTANTLY painted toenails (either bright red or bright blue) for the past 7-8 years. In fact, much to my mother's chagrin, my "something blue" for my wedding day was my toenails. I compromised and wore closed-toe shoes...
I'm glad the visit went well and I'm eager to hear about the "local" opportunity!
Post a Comment