Friday, January 11, 2013

You have no idea what this means to me

Bonaventure is currently napping in his crib.




You know, I've done a lot of difficult things. I wrote a dissertation. I got a tenure-track job. I published a book. I biked 330 miles in 4 days and, in the same year, walked 600 miles across a country whose language I don't speak. I've survived passport theft in southern France teaching three 20-student comp sections in a single semester. I can handle shit.

But getting a baby to sleep when and where he's not used to sleeping? That's just about beyond my capabilities.

Bonaventure had developed the sweet (but unsustainable, now that I'm going back to work) habit of napping on my lap, or in bed with me, after a nice long nurse. Breaking that habit is not easy. But today we've made a little bit of progress.

Now, if he'd only take a bottle....

2 comments:

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

Victory! Thing is - kids will do what you want them to do eventually. You just have to have the fortitude to make it happen. MUCH easier said than done.

Sisyphus said...

Happy napping day! Good luck in your continued quest!