Saturday, January 12, 2013

Screw you, William Blake

So we're working on "nap training" this morning, which is horrible procedure far worse than night-sleep training was (at least for our little guy) and which involves just putting the baby in his crib when he's tired and letting him go to sleep. Or, in our case, letting him cry for half an hour (with a couple of quick check-ins), then picking him up to resume (sleepy, cranky) playing.

It's heartbreaking, and Bonaventure's crying, and I feel terrible. So I start reading for next week's Brit Lit, trying to get a little work done and take my mind off of our collective woes. The Norton has added a new poem to the Songs of Innocence section, "On Anothers Sorrow," and as I'm holding back my own tears and B is wailing away, I read:

"Can a father see his child,
Weep, nor be with sorrow fill'd.

"Can a mother sit and hear,
An infant groan an infant fear--
No no never can it be.
Never never can it be."

That did it. I cried. We picked B up at 27 minutes instead of the mandated 30. It was just plain rotten all around.



(This afternoon is going better--he fell asleep quickly and has been down for 25 minutes. I guess just wearing him out to the absolute limit is the key? Sigh. This all just makes me feel like a terrible, terrible person.)

6 comments:

Bardiac said...

No. You are a good person, and probably a wonderful parent. It's just that parenting is super duper hard. (Just ask my parents what I put them through!)

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

You're doing the right thing. It's hard, but worth it in the end. Courage!!

Good Enough Woman said...

I went through it *big time* with my first. But it changed my life, and, ultimately, he became a much better sleeper, which made him a happier baby and kid. But the process was tough, mostly (as you say) during naps. Hang in there! And, yes, screw Blake.

heu mihi said...

Thanks, everyone! I was two seconds away from bailing on nap training on Saturday. Yesterday was slightly better (he fell asleep after about 5 minutes in the morning, and then after 15 in the afternoon). Still, it is No Fun At All listening to your baby cry, and it makes me wish that I had another semester to stay home and snuggle with him.

heu mihi said...

And Blake didn't have kids, did he?

Good Enough Woman said...

BTW, I'm sure you've had more than enough suggestions about baby books, and I don't mean to be an intrusive bore, but the two that helped me the most were Weissbluth's "Healthy Sleep Habits" book, and the "Happiest Baby on the Block" book. Although they are somewhat antithetical to each other, the former gave me tremendous help understanding sleep cycles (and was my seminal sleep text), and the latter really helped me figure out how to best soothe the baby to prepare for the naps.

For what it's worth . . .