Monday, June 4, 2012

Two things that may or may not be real

1. A class I totally want to take: a combined history and cooking class on some particular geographic region. For every session, we'd do some readings on cultural influences and major historical events; listen to a little lecture; and then have a cooking class in which we'd make a historically accurate(ish) meal from the period being discussed that week. The course would start as far back as possible and move forward in whatever increments make it most (culinarily) interesting. Wouldn't that be a fun way to learn about cultural history?

The problem is that, as far as I know, I totally invented this concept and certainly couldn't teach such a class myself (not that I'm wanting to do more teaching, anyway). It came to me when TM and I were discussing medieval cooking over lunch--I'd reprised a quite tasty 14th-c./thereabouts dish that I made for my Chaucer class last year. I thoroughly enjoyed making medieval food for my class; I learned such interesting things! Like how to make a sauce gelatinous when one doesn't have access to corn starch.

-and-

2. I may not believe in the nesting instinct, but I just cleaned the toaster. (I'm due in a week. Anytime now, deary...or Lumpy Homunculus, as TM and I have taken to calling him/her, in honor of how lumpy my belly is much of the time.)

(I'm not sure that I don't believe in the nesting instinct; I just think that I'm generally so nesty and compulsive that such a thing would be largely unrecognizable in me. But I haven't cleaned the toaster...well, ever, at least not this toaster, which I bought when I moved to Field Town [for $6--I didn't actually expect to keep it] five years ago. You decide.)

3 comments:

Dr. Koshary said...

1. Please share this Chaucerian recipe!

2. Promise us (me!) that you will not actually bestow the name Lumpy Homunculus on that child, even as a nickname. Promise.

3. I find it vaguely frustrating that you haven't been posting more often, because I fear that you will vanish from the blogosphere entirely for a long time when the kid decides to show up in the open air. That is to say, good to see a new post from you! Nest/clean away!

Fretful Porpentine said...

I, too, would love a copy of the Chaucerian recipe! (Not that I will actually have occasion to make it unless our medievalist goes on sabbatical again.)

Notorious Ph.D. said...

As for #2, I'd ascribe it less to "nesting" and more to some sort of instinctual realization that, for the next 18 years, your house will never be as clean as it is now, so you want to enjoy it to its utmost, while you still can.