Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Baby = here


Bonaventure (not his real name) (now that he's earthside, he doesn't have to be Lumpy Homunculus anymore) arrived at 4:30 in the morning on Thursday, June 14. He is a perfect and gorgeous little creature. I've always thought that newborns were rather funny looking; oddly enough, I seem to have birthed the one and only ideally beautiful child!


This is him, just minutes after birth. What a love. Every tiny part of his tiny body fills me with delight, and there's nothing sweeter than to watch his papa cuddle him.

A word about new-parenthood: I'd heard that it's hard, of course, and accepted that in a vague sort of way. But I really had no idea. You know how new parents often say that they consider it a good day if they get to take a shower? That's setting the bar pretty high, methinks. I put on deodorant this afternoon (yes, afternoon). I'm feeling pretty good about that.

And also: My entirely drug-free birth has given me oceans of empathy for women who opt for epidurals.

I'd thought, I guess, that if it's just pain, and nothing bad is happening to you, of course you can bear it, right? I'm good at managing pain and breathing through it, etc. Again: I had no idea. Childbirth has been utterly deromanticized for me. It is extremely hard work--no candles and soft music, here. I spent transition lying inert on my side (if I moved at all, I'd tense up and panic), howling, eyes closed, while TM, my mom, and my doula stroked my hands and shoulders. I wouldn't have been able to do it without their comfort and reassurance.

And as for pushing.... Suffice to say that I was naked, indifferent to decency, emitting unearthly sounds at a very high volume. I bit pillows and growled. I screamed and snarled and thrashed. My whole body shook. Later I was told that I frightened some nurses out in the hall--they aren't used to natural births and didn't know what could possibly happening in the room. Yes, I am Hard Core.

Now I just need to find a way to get to sleep before 3 am....

9 comments:

undine said...

Lovely baby, and he looks so peaceful--congratulations!

Dr. Koshary said...

Mazel tov to you and your new family of three, Heu!! It's really spectacular luck for you that you bore the only perfect baby you've ever seen.

And you have my respect for going all hard-core for the birth. I am a bit shaken just reading the summary of it. That'll be a good story for Bonaventure, when he's a bit older.

Tell Bonaventure I wish him welcome to earth. :D

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

Yay! Baby! Congrats -- he's gorgeous. :)

I did no-drug labor the first time, too. It was hell, but worth it to give it a shot. I felt like if I could get through that, I can get through anything. You need that sort of resolve as a parent. The second baby, I went 33 hours without drugs and was only 6 cm. I said f it and got an epidural. Then youngest came along in the following hour. Who knew?

Anyway - you are now a goddess. Sleep is now the highest commodity in the world and the only thing you crave. Good luck!


PS - breast feeding is another thing that's totally worth it if you can do it. It's also a lot harder than it looks. But you get the hang of it after a few days. You're going to hurt for a while, but after 4-6 weeks, you have zero pain in breast feeding. A lot of women give up right when it's about to get much easier. I really hope you give it a shot!

Good Enough Woman said...

Congrats to you, TM, and Bonaventure! I am so happy that you and Baby are happy and healthy. My one piece of advice: remember to get yourself something to drink BEFORE you sit down to feed the baby.

I did no-drug births and also lost all sense of modesty or concern for/about those around me. The nurses at my hospital called them "prairie births." To tell you the truth, one of my big reasons for going natural was that I was afraid of the epidural needle!

Can't wait to read updates as BV develops and grows!

Flavia said...

Congrats, lady!

What Now? said...

Hurrah! Congratulations on the expanded family -- I'm so happy for you and TM!

Dr. Crazy said...

Happy happy day! Welcome to the world, Bonaventure!

Maude said...

Congratulations! Welcome Bonaventure! Oh happy day!

meli said...

beautiful! congratulations!