Thursday, April 26, 2012

Pregnancy colds are extra special

Did you know that? Did you know that, when you get a cold when you're pregnant, it sucks extra*? I'm learning. Wow. Three days I've been miserable, miserable, after two days of am-I-getting-sick? fatigue and sore throats and one more day of yes,-I'm-sick,-but-still-up-and-about.

I canceled classes on Tuesday, but not today, because next Tuesday is our last day and so there'd be no possibility of catching up if I'd canceled today, too. They were not my shiningest teaching moments ever, but at least some progress was made. (= judicious use of passive voice; it would be going too far to say that I truly led this progress. It's entirely possible that the only thing that progressed was the syllabus, not actual, you know, learning stuff.)

I think that I can safely say that I feel better today than yesterday, so maybe this won't last absolutely forever? But good lord. This is the worst cold I can remember having.

*This fact has been confirmed by my doctor's office. The body is working harder than usual to make the baby, so it's not really focused too much on healing itself; plus, there's all that extra mucous production! Good times!

3 comments:

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

Colds while pregnant suck! You can't really take much to relieve them. I think I remember taking Tylenol Cold, but it didn't help. The only thing that really gave me a tiny sliver of relief was Claritin. Ask your doc before taking anything, but I do remember just being sicker than sick with just a simple cold while pregnant. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. It's so hard to breathe anyway with the baby pressing up into your diaphragm. I feel your pain. Good luck! And get some rest!

Sisyphus said...

:( Take care! Get well soon!!!

What Now? said...

Ugh -- I hope that there's some hope on the horizon, that perhaps the cold is already on its way out.