Monday, October 10, 2011

This must be my fault

How many times this semester have I had this conversation?

Any student: "Can I come see you about [fillintheblank]?"

Me: "Of course. Why don't you stop by during my office hours?"

Student: "When are your office hours again?"

Me: "Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 9 to 10."

Student pauses, thinks, finally says: "Okay! I'll come by on Wednesday." Scribbles a note in his/her calendar.

Me: "Uh, actually--oh, all right. I'll see you then." (I'm in my office anyway, after all, and who needs the confusion....)

3 comments:

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Must be something in the air...

heu mihi said...

Oddly enough, no one EVER seems to come to my MTThF office hours. It's the fictional Wednesday hour that's the big draw.

Dr. Koshary said...

I wish I had a dollar for every student who has asked about my office hours, told me that they'll email to work out an appointment, and then disappeared into thin air. And I'm only halfway through the semester!

I don't have your exact experience only because I have almost no scheduled office hours, and try to accommodate other requested times on an individual basis. If I kept a range of office hours like yours, I'd never open the door to students at other times. I have to write, damn it!