Sunday, September 11, 2011

Fully Dawsed

I have a cold. And this afternoon I took non-drowsy cold medicine.

Guess what, non-drowsy cold medicine! Your non-drowsy wiles don't work on me! Hell no! My body will foil your every effort to keep me awake!

In brief, I find myself fully zombified this afternoon. Trying to read the General Prologue to the CT. I was out midway through the Prioress.

Got up a while later to get something from the bathroom. Knocked over everything on the shelf. Replaced item on the shelf a moment later, knocking everything over again.

The main benefit of cold medicine? Not, as far as I can tell, clearing my sinuses (though my throat feels slightly better). Essentially it forces me to rest. I predict that I'll be retiring the guest room (my preferred sickbed) for video-watching and napping soon, perhaps with some very, very simple knitting (which I'll probably have to redo next week).

Fie!

(The semester has evened itself out a bit, though, and I'm no longer overwhelmed in the way that I was that first week. My classes are fine. Everything is fine except my NOSE!)

5 comments:

Good Enough Woman said...

I am so sorry you are ill, but I am just twisted and harried enough to be a tiny bit envious that you get to take cold medicine, crawl into bed, watch videos, knit. I can't remember the last time I had such an afternoon. It sounds strangely awesome. But still. I know that, with the cold, it's not. I'm toasting to your quick recovery with my iced chai latte.

Notorious Ph.D. said...

I got hit with a debilitating flu the last week of classes a couple of years back. It was bad enough that I knew, as soon as I got to campus, that I'd have to turn around and head right back home. I did that, put on an audiobook, put myself to bed, and drifted in and out of wakefulness for the next 24 hours. The flu was awful (walking from the bed to the kitchen and back again took all my energy reserves), but being able to get in bed at 10:30 a.m. and stay there? Yep, sometimes ya' just gotta go with what your body's telling you.

Dr. Koshary said...

This post lacketh for curious pre-Modern English prose style, as writ by ye Haughty Dame of the Fields. Just sayin'.

Sorry to hear you're knocked out again! Maybe you should start pre-emptively dosing yourself with vitamin C when the semester starts. Students are filthy beggars for microbes, you know.

heu mihi said...

Oh, I'd forgotten about the Haughty Dame! Ha ha ha ha ha! Thanks, Koshary, for the reminder!

Cosqui said...

Sucks! I have a cold too and it's so uncomfortable. Feel so sick. However read your stories and being at my bed entertains me. Keep writing please.

safe meds