Monday, August 1, 2011

Gratuitous Picture Post

A week or two ago, I was suddenly hit with an intense desire to relax. You know--enjoy the summer without working. Not that I've been working all that much, but.... Well, what prompted it was an email in which my mother asked me if I'd started a novel that she'd lent me, and I realized in writing back to her that I hadn't been reading fiction. Forgive my italics, but it shocked me.

So--rather than reading Cloud Atlas, the erudite and clearly fabulous novel from my mom (I started it and was liking it, but I lost my train of thought)--I've been reading Alexander McCall Smith's Isabel Dalhousie series. They start off as "mysteries," but lose that moniker pretty quickly; mostly Isabel reflects on moral philosophy, cooks risotto, and drinks wine with her youthful paramour. They're delightful, cozy, and easy on the brain (which sounds insulting, but I don't mean it that way. Look, I didn't want to work! This is a good thing). And they usually end up with some really sweet reflection on love or kindness or something. I like them.

The novels are set in Edinburgh, which brings me to my gratuitous pictures. I spent almost a week in Edinburgh back in '07, and I loved it. Today I browsed through the pictures that I took on my trip there; some of them are quite nice, so I'm sharing. Enjoy!

(And yes, all of them were taking in Edinburgh, even the ones that look like they couldn't possibly be urban--that was Holyrood Park, where I spent one of the nicest mornings I can remember.)

7 comments:

Good Enough Woman said...

Leisure reading makes me so happy. I read that author's Botwana books, but I haven't read the Edinburgh ones. You have inspired me. Lovely pics!

Sisyphus said...

Lovely! I like the circles one.

What Now? said...

Those Isabel Dalhousie novels are nice, aren't they? I've been reading Laurie King's Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes novels for fun; I just discovered them this summer and am finding them perfect summer reading. Glad to hear you're relaxing!

undine said...

Beautiful pictures!

Belle said...

Thanks for the lovely reminders. I do love Edinburgh!

anthea said...

Ooo thank you! I've never been to Edinburgh but I'd love to go. I've only read one of the Isabel Dalhousie novels but I've read most of the Botswana ones. But I really liked both groups and I can't wait to read more of the Isabel Dalhousie novels. I like leisure reading and sadly I've done much of this summer. I've been busy revising articles etc and getting bits and pieces of work finished :-(

Matt said...

Third picture blew my mind. I imagined a perfect evening with my gf where birds were singing while we read xlpharmacy magazine.