Thursday, November 18, 2010

No Pictures of the House Yet

But between the Wife of Bath and "Batter my heart, three-personed God," my Brit Lit survey has become an apologia for domestic violence.

(I actually prefaced my concluding comments last week with, "Ignore the justification for domestic abuse that is about to come out of my mouth." And, when a student said, "But I just don't like the idea of it; I wouldn't want to be raped by God," I at least had the wherewithal to add, "Good! I don't want you to want that.")

5 comments:

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

Haha... "I don't want you to want that." Seriously.

Hope the house is coming along! Good luck!

Good Enough Woman said...

We did Holy Sonnet XIV today, too!

Belle said...

Io, Europa et al would agree; rape by god = not good thing!

Bardiac said...

Yep, there's LOTS of nastiness in British lit. :/

Dr. Koshary said...

I'm beginning to think that I missed a pretty interesting and disturbing boat by not opting to take a class in Brit Lit when I had the chance.

What cracks me up, though, is the image of you warning your students about the implications of literature as though you were about to be possessed by an evil spirit. "Ignore the coming justification, kids. Also, the first few rows may want to move away from the spray of demonic saliva."