Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Little and Much

Not very much has been going on over here, in the grand scheme of things. I'm busy, naturlich, but not with anything worth noting--going to the gym, eating, sleeping, reading, writing this or that little thing that (I hope) will one day join up with other little things and produce something bigger. On the other hand, there is The Garden.

The Garden is truly three gardens (East, South, and West), and it is truly the province of The Minister, though I contribute here and there. (I made a triple batch of pesto today, for example. We now have more than 50 tablespoons of pesto in the freezer.) It is a lovely and densely packed garden, or gardens, chiefly because of some vines (melons and a mystery squash) that have filled in every empty inch and would willingly tear down the other vegetables if allowed. Tonight, inspired by the beauty of our lettuce going to seed, I took some pictures. For your pleasure:

First, the lettuce. It's almost in flower! We're hoping it'll reseed the patch.


Our chard is frankly out of control. This is one of like five rows (albeit the healthiest one). Chard, chard, chard. It'll produce until November, too.


Plenty o' poblanos.



You get two pictures of the eggplants viewed through the jalapeno leaves, because I think they're pretty.



And now for the jalapenos.


The ever-bearing strawberries are trucking along; we've got about three gallon-bags worth in our freezer already, and they'll keep rolling in into the fall.


Raspberries! The bushes are still pretty tiny, though.


A single blackberry flower.


The mystery squash! It grew out of our compost. It's huge. It wants to conquer the world.


Oh--and of course, there will be tomatoes.


I love summer.

10 comments:

Notorious Ph.D. said...

So... we should all be sending you chard recipes?

Ink said...

The lettuce is so beautiful! Why did I think they grew in little balls in the ground? That looks like a gorgeous statue...

Belle said...

Glorious! I'm jealous.

Moria said...

Ooohhh. I have only the vaguest aspirations of ever achieving anything like this, but boy, do I admire it. The eggplants and the peppers are particularly appealing. Nom; sigh.

heu mihi said...

Ink--they kind of are balls in the ground, but if you let them go to seed, they shoot up into these lovely leafy sculptures!

Notorious--if you have any good ones, I won't object.

Sisyphus said...

WHoah, lookit all that ... greenery! Actually, gardens kinda freak me out. Veggies are good, though.

And I started eating chard because there were a bunch of recipes for it in Deborah Madsen's vegetarian cookbook I am always praising. If you want I can send you her recipes.

heu mihi said...

Ooh, I think I have that vegetarian cookbook! Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, or something? I'll have to explore it more deeply.

What Now? said...

Good heavens, what splendor! And didn't you all move last summer, so all of this garden has sprung up (or, of course, been coaxed up) just this year? Impressive!

Earnest English said...

I'm totally jealous of your chard! I didn't get chard in my CSA share this week -- and I miss it!

the rebel lettriste said...

That is one thoroughly bolted lettuce.