Monday, October 26, 2009

Aggravation, oh aggravation,* I am so tired

I skipped a talk tonight that TM has to go to (it being on a topic that marginally relates to religion) so that I could stay home and prep for tomorrow's seminar, during which I'll be observed by a senior colleague. (For the record, may I say that this will be my third observation in a week???)

And yet, I just discovered that the flash drive on which my prep notes (I was so proud of myself for starting this while I was still on campus!) is still stuck in my office computer.

Bleah. I can take a few more notes, I guess, but will have to drag my ass into the office early AGAIN tomorrow to finish up before my 9am meeting with a student who wants to ask me questions about a scholarship I know nothing about. Is it likely that I will research the scholarship before we meet? No. Is it likely that this student--who is quite a smart and lovely person, don't get me wrong--will nonetheless manage to hang out in my office for the better part of an hour? Yes. Yes, it is.

Might I also report, for the record, that I spent two hours watching teacher ed presentations today, and will spend two hours doing so tomorrow, and next Monday, and next Tuesday? And might I also report that these presentations are all variations on the Children Are Our Future theme? Which is intolerable and makes me want to kill myself? Truly?

Even so, I am feeling moderately guilty for skipping the talk when now I can't really do my prep anyway. Luckily, I have plenty of grading to do, so there's no fear of idle hands in this house!

I want to go to bed.

*I know that Dr. Virago hates the misuse of this word, the proper meaning of which I only learned courtesy of her blog. But I think that this post can legitimately claim to be about the heaping up of exhausting burdens, and thus I will retain it as a significant part of the title.

5 comments:

Sisyphus said...

Why are you getting observed so much? Especially if your faculty is so small and overworked? (try that line on them and see if it helps.)

heu mihi said...

I didn't have any observations last year, and I'm up for mid-point review this year; thus, I need some letters in my file. So it goes. After today, I think I'm done for the year. Sigh.

the rebel lettriste said...

I believe that the children are our future. Sometimes I write essays about that. Sometimes I make powerpoint presentations and forcefeed my sentiments to faculty.

Either way, Whitney Houston RULES.

heu mihi said...

I also love...*love*...(*sob*)...the children!!! They are our future!!!!!!

What's funny is hearing 19-year-olds say that. I'm like, wait--aren't *you* supposed to be our future? Where do you get off passing the buck to the next generation so quickly?

Fretful Porpentine said...

Because deep in their hearts, most of them know that if they are the future, we're all doomed?