Thursday, August 27, 2009

It might be awesome

The subject line refers to the feeling that I have about this semester's advanced seminar. Truly. Rockin'.

I have 5 students (maybe 6, but I'm actually suspecting that the sixth has absconded). I know them all from previous classes, and have a good rapport with four of them; the fifth had some troubles in my class last semester but has been working hard and seems on board now. So that's a good start. One of my absolute favorite things about Field College is these seminars where I already know nearly every single student; it makes such a difference and we tend to have a lot of fun in class. I'm lucky that I get to teach one of those pretty much every semester.

And I am so excited about the topic--so excited that I might sabotage the course, because I keep thinking up new assignments and cool stuff that we could do, and I'm afraid of overloading them. The topic is related to book history but from a literary perspective; today we spent most of the hour looking at various book-like documents and talking about whether we thought they were books or not, and why. (The answers were complex; there was much disagreement.) I have them performing an experiment wherein they need to observe and document how they read one book--in detail--and how the physical form of the book affects their reading. We're going to read a bit of really tough theory, and an Onion article, and some cool pomo novels. And Chaucer. Of course, Chaucer!

And we have a course blog. (See what I mean about overloading?) It will be awesome. I hope.*

Anyway, I'm pretty thrilled about this class, and we didn't even get through half of what I had planned for today. Less prep for Tuesday--I love being behind!

*If you know me and would like to take a look, email me and I'll send you the link. Sorry to be a little exclusive about this; I'm leery of sending it out to people I don't know, partly because it will reveal my Mysterious Identity, but mainly because my students are on there, too (or will be soon).

5 comments:

Sisyphus said...

Medieval Book history and technology!!!! You must show them this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zQgEqDdvuo

heu mihi said...

Oh! I will! Thanks!

Good Enough Woman said...

I love being behind, too! I think that's why I get so nervous on the first day. I'm not behind, so there is no content propelling me forward. Just me, and them, and the sense that I must create awesome vibes that will last for 18 weeks. Yes, my semesters are 18 weeks.

heu mihi said...

And I thought 16 was rough.... More props to you, g(e)w!

pocha said...

Course blogs are much fun. I've done that twice -- both time in my specialty courses -- and have always had great success. Students do good work online. Great class; I would so sign up for it!