Monday, October 27, 2008

Self-Medicating

Today is just no good for anyone. Not only did I have that mealy apple experience, but
  • I was in the office from 7:30-6:00.
  • Two colleagues (who are married to each other) spent the morning at a funeral.
  • I dropped in to chat with a different colleague, who burst into tears twice as the result of a campus-related subject that I brought up (note: I didn't make her burst into tears; I just inadvertently and unwittingly referred to a fresh wound).
  • A couple that the Minister is friends with are going through a terrible time [details withheld]. I've met them and they're lovely people. It's awful.
  • TM didn't get an interview for a job he sort of wanted, and hasn't heard anything from one that he really wants a lot. And the interviews will be held this weekend.
  • I may have opened a can of worms with the football coach.
  • I identified the semester's first case of clear-cut, unambiguous plagiarism. And I'm pretty sure that it won't be the last.
So I have a glass of whiskey and I'm downloading an episode of The Office. Yeah, I should be grading the 21 remaining midterms from last week, or reading the sonnets I got today (I made them write sonnets, yes I did!), or reading for tomorrow. But fuck it.

--Argh! While I was writing this post, I burned my dinner. Which is my very favorite, special pasta with onions, apples, blue cheese, and raspberry jam. Fuck it times two!

5 comments:

Ortho said...

Heu Mihi, tomorrow will be a better day.

Have you shared your special pasta recipe on the blog? It sounds delicious. I would love to try it.

Hilaire said...

Oh no, that's awful. Awful, awful. I think things can only look up.

I'd love to see that recipe, too - though now that you mention it, I sort of feel like I can see through the mists of time to its posting - or perhaps it was merely a mention?

Sisyphus said...

Jam on pasta? I am confused.

medieval woman said...

Ugh - sorry about TM's job opportunities - I'll still have my fingers crossed for you guys! Have you heard anything?

Dame Eleanor Hull said...

You know, Thursday turned out so bad I made chocolate pudding for consolation. And accidentally put lemon flavoring in it instead of vanilla.

It was . . . odd. Very.

And my word verification is "Brattyph." Am not.