Monday, October 27, 2008

Bad Apples

A student brought me an apple today.

Seriously.

It was very sweet. Um, the gesture, that is--not the apple so much.

The thing is, I brought an apple in my lunch. And my apples are good apples: when the Minister's parents were in town, we went all apple-picking at a (mostly) organic orchard (they do spray a little early in the season, before there are any fruits) and got some amazing apples. Lots and lots of them.

So I went back to my office and ate my main lunch dish, then decided to eat the student's apple. It was a regular grocery store apple. In fact, it may have been the lesser cousin of the grocery store apple: the dining hall apple. It was mealy and dry and not very sweet. I got like 3 bites into it and thought, Screw this. Into the bin it went. I am now eating my own deliciously juicy fantabulous apple.

I feel a little bit guilty, though.

2 comments:

medieval woman said...

But, holy sh*t! To actually get an apple as a teacher....pretty cool, dude....

Sisyphus said...

Yeh, it's the thought that counts. The wheels of society are greased with polite little lies, so just tell the student that it was a lovely gift and was just great.

... unless you thought the student was trying to send you some sort of secret message through the mealiness? (no, wait, stop with the paranoia already, Cog!)