Monday, December 10, 2007

Slow Blog

I realize that I've been pretty quiet lately. A lot of that has been due to busyness--last week was absolutely crazy, what with finishing up classes, grading all my final comp projects, and then foolishly leaving Field Town for the Metropole a mere two days after I finished teaching. My lit students are submitting their papers to me via email (and I really need to get going on those...).

I also haven't been blogging much because I'm trying not to write about how the job market is going. I haven't been checking the wiki as obsessively as I was last year because I've just had too much other stuff on my mind, but I think that I can safely say that I'm doing OK on the market this time around--better than last year, anyway. I'm cautiously optimistic. But I've been avoiding blogging about it.

I'm breaking my vow of silence, however, to report my delight and astonishment at receiving a call this morning from a Very Good School. Probably one of the top 5 jobs in my field this year, in fact. (Not the #1 job of the year--medievalists, you know what I'm talking about--but I probably would have exploded if I'd heard from them.) This is the first time that a VGS has expressed interest in me. It's a little scary. But good.

And now, I grade. Thirty-two eight-to-ten-pagers to go (assuming they all reached the minimum requirement, that is!).

6 comments:

Hilaire said...

Hey, that's fabulous news on VGS! Go you.

BTW, your gift was in the mail as on Friday. :)

heu mihi said...

Cool! I look forward to picking it up when I return to Field Town. I'll be sending out my blog gifts early next week, I think.

medieval woman said...

Yay! It's near me, it's near me!!!!

Fingers crossed....

Jennifer Lynn Jordan said...

God speed!

Sisyphus said...

this is all so fascinating (and, luckily, distant-seeming) from the non-med side; now I'm totally curious as to how meds would "rank" the various jobs.

Would #1 Big Fancy Job be over on my side of the world, for example?

Good luck on the everything!

What Now? said...

Congrats on the optimistic job market report!